Everyone likes to take a small trip outside the city every now and then. Taking small trips with your car can give us a break from our busy life. But while planning for these type of trips you should make sure that you take everything necessary for an emergency and your car including your passenger car tires are maintained properly.
For optimum tire performance, tires must have accurate and proper air pressure, tread depth, balance, and wheel alignment. Before you hit the road and go off on your road trip, there are important things you need to take care of regarding your passenger car tires. Take a look at them.
1. If you rotate your tires regularly it will make tread wear even and improve the tire performance. So, it will be better if you go for tire rotation before the trip.
2. Checking the tire pressure is necessary anyway once a week and if you are going on a trip you should definitely check the tire pressure as you will also be carrying extra load than normal. If your tire inflation is improper then driving can cause tire damage which can be very dangerous. It can also lead to unsafe handling of the car and poor fuel economy.
3. Every car and its tires have a maximum weight recommendation. It can be found in the owner’s manual and the tire’s sidewall. Make sure that you carry the extra loads according to the recommendation given. An excessive load makes a bad impact on tires and affect driving. It will cost you more in the long run as the heavier the car becomes, the worse your fuel economy will be.
4. The tread depth of a tire should be more than 2/32 inch. Make sure to measure the tread depth before on a road trip. You can do it with the help of the penny test. Do not use the same tires for your trip if they are worn out or uneven. Replace your passenger car tires before going on the trip.
5. Closely inspect splits, bumps, and bulges of your passenger car tires. Bumps and bulges can mean separation within the tire. If you do find such things before the trip it would be best to get it checked out or change the tire.
So, next time you go on a road trip make sure your passenger car tires are well maintained and in case they are not, get new tires immediately.